Wednesday 12 February 2014

visit Buddha in the clouds

I really enjoyed the day I spent on the highest point of Lantau Island in Hong Kong.

A very large Buddha's been built as both a spiritual shrine and a tourist attraction. Why not?

The choices for getting there are by Cable car or by road. As the queues for the cable car were utterly ridiculous I chose the Number 23 bus. Little did I know I was putting my life in the hands of a kamikaze bus driver. 50 minutes later, after going up steep mountains and down crazy windy roads we made it.

This is a blurred picture as we hurtled along

It is worth making it to the top? As you can see, it was a misty, coolish kind of day.



Offerings and prayers were made.

The decoration was gorgeous

The monastery and flowers exquisite

Inside and outside

Sago pudding and fruit jelly hit the spot


A final nod as I walked back past. Can you see all of the steps leading to the top and all of the devotees climbing? Do you think I followed?

Then there were the souvenir shops to traverse

.... and the commemorative photos to be taken

You could add your wishes to the manmade Bodhi tree
Then it was on to the cable car. It's all downhill from here. A lovely Chinese family sharing my journey took my photo.


Tung Chung, here we come. 
There is a great Outlet Shopping Centre here; but that's another story.

1 comment:

  1. Loved our visit to the Big Buddha too - I, too, wasn't devote enough to climb all those stairs.......

    ReplyDelete